The 4th of July Safety Tips
The 4th of July is a time for celebration. In order to keep a lighthearted and exciting atmosphere, please take these safety tips into consideration during your plans this evening.
If your plans include fireworks:
- It’s important to keep a fire extinguisher nearby, in case of an emergency.
- Do NOT light fireworks if it is illegal where you live.
- If there is no ordinance against fireworks, be sure you find an open space away from building and other flammable objects.
- Wet fireworks down when finished and use a metal container to dispose of them.
- Only light one firework at a time. Always hurry to move a far distance from the lit firework.
- Keep fireworks away from your children.
- Do not relight malfunctioned fireworks.
- Make sure to check if there are any local fire bans.
If your plans include water activities:
- Always supervise children who are in the water.
- Use lifejackets for children.
- Keep a first aid kit around in case of an injury.
- If boating, ensure the driver is a responsible adult.
- Wear sunscreen while you are out in the sun.
While you are celebrating, please do not let anyone get too out of hand. Too much alcohol can turn into a very awful thing—from illness, to injury, and even death. Make sure all children are supervised at all times.
While this is a time to celebrate, let’s not lose track of our responsibilities as adults.
Have fun, be safe, and Happy Independence Day, God Bless America!